Tuesday 4 June 2024

Lost and Found: Navigating My Journey of Discovery in Turkey


Turkey is the first country I've ever visited outside of my own, and if you had asked me what I expected to be the highlight of my first month here, I wouldn't have thought I would say getting lost; For me, being lost holds so many meanings and can manifest in different ways. I can be lost physically, emotionally, and mentally, and that's exactly what has happened here. I've found myself lost so many times that I've grown to love and embrace it. Out of the ten times I leave the dorm, I'm lost nine of those times. Strangely, I've never really felt scared. Instead, I saw it as an opportunity to discover areas I never thought of visiting. Sometimes, I would venture as far as two hours away from home. Despite the distance, these two-hour journeys allowed me to interact with locals, talk to different people, and be exposed to new situations. For me, this represents the transition phase I'm going through, and I consider this trip as a step out of my comfort zone, where I find solutions to problems I never thought I'd face.

 Amidst all of this, I'm making memories that will last me a lifetime. The first time I got lost, I befriended a police officer. It was the first time I realized I could communicate with people without fully understanding their words. Google Translate and facial expressions became powerful tools. The police officer stayed with me until I got on the right bus, which was very kind of him. The second time, I was with a bus driver who seemed angry. Despite this, he still helped me get to my stop again and even signaled to me where to go. Similar situations like this happened a lot, and while some people were rude and aggressive towards me, I still saw kindness in the majority. Dealing with various types of people, including the racist ones, has been challenging.                              However, I've learned to cope. Sometimes, life will be unkind by sending rude people, racists, or those who simply neglect and dismiss you. This was the worst mental and emotional conflict I faced abroad, but I learned to live with it and ignore it. Turkey is 98% beauty, and these people represent the 2%. I refuse to let them ruin the beauty of opportunities for me. It took time and effort, along with many breakdowns, to reach this state, but now I look back and realize I've grown ten years forward because of it. If it weren't for these people, I wouldn't have learned the art of adaptation or to always look at the good side of everything. Emotionally, I'm more capable of dealing with my conflicts and accepting others around me. I've learned to turn any situation into a positive one. Now, when bad things happen, I see them as perfect opportunities to learn so they won't happen again next time.                                                                                                                                                      I still have a month left here, a month of dealing with mean people but also a month of meeting amazing individuals who make me love life a bit more. My time volunteering in Turkey has been a journey of self-discovery and resilience. Despite encountering challenges, including getting lost and facing rude individuals, I've learned invaluable lessons in adaptation and positivity. Turkey's beauty far outweighs the negativity encountered, and I refuse to let it overshadow the opportunities and connections I've made. As I look forward to my remaining time here, I embrace each day as an opportunity to learn, grow, and appreciate the kindness and diversity that enriches this experience.