Tuesday 27 December 2022

A letter to Turkey

 


I don’t even know where to start when it comes to describing my second month in Turkey, I did so many things that I still can’t believe how lucky I am.
I think the better place to start is by telling you about my first week of the month. I went to Istanbul and then Izmir, two different cities but both beautiful in their unique way. Istanbul is one of the main “organs of Turkey’s system” and when you visit this wonderful city you understand why. So many places so many people, a city that belongs to two continents, a city that never sleeps.


 I visited many places, but the trip to the places is also important to mention, since Istanbul is so big, the transportation takes a lot of time, which is good because you get a tour without needing to pay for it. In Izmir I got to relax a little bit more, and enjoy the sea which I missed so much, I also went to some places, but Izmir was better to rewind and get ready for the next month ahead. 
 
Then I got back to my so-called normal life in Ankara, I was so happy to be back home, I missed this city but mostly I missed my students in kindergarten, so when I went back I made the most of it. Even though it’s not easy for me to communicate with my students because of the language difference, we are still able to communicate and laugh together, children make me connect with my inner child which I think is very important. Food delivery is also an important day of the week for me, it is the day when I’m just thinking of others, and not myself, being able to be here and have what I have, I’m privileged, and helping other people is using my privilege in the right way, I think, and when I tell they are the best people, they are, a simple smile and a meal changes their day, they are humble, kind, I learn from them, I’m thankful to meet these people, and I will try my best to improve their lives. 
 
The 18th of November was the beginning of one of the best weeks in my life, Ander was the hosting organization for a youth exchange program. I was excited to meet new people from different countries, I had some expectations, but what I didn’t expect was that I would meet the most wonderful people and make beautiful memories, core memories, I believe I made friends that will last a lifetime. We went to several places around Ankara, places that before this I didn’t have the time to visit. I had conversations that helped me understand different mindsets, and I got to know new cultures and fell in love with them. 



The week that followed was also good I also met good people from a training course that Ander organized, returned to my normal activities, and said my last goodbye.  
 
So I couldn’t be more thankful and happy to have this ending for my experience in Turkey. 
Thank you Ander, 
Thank you, Serdar, 
Thank you, my sisters/volunteers,
Thank you to everyone that was a part of this experience.