Friday 24 March 2023

Volunteering during the Earthquake

Hello everyone!

My name is Nur, and I am a volunteer in ESC and it is my first month in Ankara to work with a local organization. I wanted to share my experiences of my first month in this amazing city and the work that I am doing to help the community.

When I first arrived in Ankara, I was struck by the city's energy and vibrancy. The streets were busy with people, cars, and buses, and there was a sense of excitement in the air. As I settled into my new accommodation, I felt a mixture of nerves and excitement about the work that I was about to embark on.

The organization I am volunteering for is focused on providing food delivery to underprivileged people in Ankara and language teaching opportunities for children. As someone with a passion for education and social justice, I was thrilled to be given the opportunity to work with them.

However, on the morning of February 6th, everything changed. A strong earthquake occurred in 10 regions of Turkey. Dozens of buildings were destroyed and thousands of people lost their lives. 7 days of mourning were declared in the country.

In the aftermath of the earthquake, my plans as a volunteer were put on hold. The organization I was working with had to shift its focus to providing immediate relief to those affected by the earthquake. As someone who had come to Ankara with the desire to help, I was determined to do whatever I could to assist.

 I have been involved in a range of activities to help those affected by the earthquake. This includes distributing food and supplies to those in need and offering emotional support to those who have lost loved ones or been left without a home.

Although my time in Ankara has not gone as planned, I am grateful for the experience and for the chance to help those in need. I am reminded of the importance of flexibility and adaptability, and I am humbled by the strength and resilience of the human spirit in the face of adversity.

 In addition to these I've had the opportunity to explore some of the city's amazing cultural landmarks in my free time. In particular, I've been blown away by my visits to Anitkabir and the library.


Anitkabir

Anitkabir is the mausoleum of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the modern Republic of Turkey. As a history buff, I was really excited to visit this important landmark. The architecture of the mausoleum is truly stunning, with its grand columns and sweeping lines. Inside, the museum offers an in-depth look at Ataturk's life and legacy, with exhibits that cover everything from his military career to his political achievements.

What struck me the most about my visit to Anitkabir was the sense of national pride that it inspired. Everywhere I looked, I saw people of all ages paying their respects to Ataturk and his vision for a modern, secular Turkey. As a foreign volunteer, it was incredibly moving to see the impact that Ataturk's legacy continues to have on the people of this country.


The Library

Another highlight of my time in Ankara has been my visits to the city's stunning library. The library is housed in a beautiful modern building with sleek lines and plenty of natural light. Inside, the space is vast and welcoming, with countless shelves of books and comfortable seating areas for reading and studying.

What I love most about the library is the sense of community that it fosters. Every time I've visited, I've seen people of all ages and backgrounds using the space for their own purposes. Some are reading for pleasure, while others are studying for exams or working on research projects. Whatever the reason, everyone seems to feel at home in this vibrant, welcoming space. One of my favorite things about the library is that it's open 24/7 and offers free drinks and cupcakes.

I feel incredibly grateful to have the chance to be a part of this vibrant, welcoming city. Whether I'm exploring the cultural landmarks or giving back through my volunteer work, I am constantly inspired by the warmth and generosity of the people of Ankara. I can't wait to see what the rest of my time here has in store!



Nuriyye Ceferova