Tuesday 28 March 2023

Seiran's Experience in Ankara

Hello. I’m Seyran from Azerbaijan. This is my first project abroad, in Ankara.
I would like to share my experiences and memories with you during this month. But, a month passed so quickly.. I wish I could turn back in time and live it again and again. While writing this blog, I sat and thought, all my experiences flashed before my eyes. But when I thought about it, I realized how much I’ve been through, what beautiful memories, what beautiful people I have accumulated.
Let’s start with my first arrival in Ankara, what we did here, and the places and cities we went to.
The first day I came to Ankara, it was like a dream to come here. The streets were so amazing. It was like I was in a dream and I was very excited. It felt very exciting to settle in a new city for the first time (although for a short time), meeting new people from different countries. The best part of this project is that it allows you to meet people from different countries and different cultures. When I first came here, I thought I could “just” make more friends and experience other cultures, but I gained a new family... It’s a great feeling.. The project time is 2 months, I wish I could stay longer. Even though we have time to explore new places, taste food and visit touristic places every day, these 2 months flew by like air. The closer I get to the project deadline, the more I get upset. But I still want to share these unforgettable moments and feelings with you.

Volunteer work

The organization I volunteer with aims to deliver food to people in need, teach languages to children and education.

As someone who loves children very much, I was very happy when I saw that this was one of the subjects of the project. But on the sixth of February, Turkey faced great disaster. We are going through difficult times right now. But the earthquake also affected our project. Since all universities, kindergartens and schools were closed, we only started to help earthquake victims. It felt great to help earthquake victims, to touch the lives of people who went through bad situations, to show that we stand by them with our help. After our project changed, we worked together with other organizations. After the earthquake, all people came together and sent so many things, food, clothes, toys for children.. We were only able to support them such as sharing food and clothing, spending time with people and talking to them.

Then we went to the dormitories and prepared plays for the earthquake victims, danced and made pictures in them. It is very difficult to describe to you the joy on their faces and the sparkle in their eyes.

Glad I came and experienced them.


Food delivering 

On the other hand, we are part of the “food delivering” project. It is a very nice feeling to be in this project, to help the migrant who needs food and help in the distribution of food, to touch a person’s life for the first time in our life, to feel that we are doing a good job for humanity. All these scenes taught us to be more grateful for what we have and how to talk to people and empathize. It made us realize the importance of what is really important in the world, the change of humanity. I hope the world will always turn into a place where people can live better and get along.


Social media

Ander has Instagram, Facebook and YouTube accounts, and we share Instagram posts and edit videos for YouTube every week. Normally, I’m not that much of a social media user in my daily life, but I love things like creating creative things and editing videos. I learned to do things like that even better an Instagram post, editing, Instagram story sharing thanks to Ander. We do a lot of creative videos and posts on social media to explore traits that teens have never explored and create educational videos to help them become their best selves, and I really enjoyed the time we worked together as a team.


Social life

Now let’s move on to our social life.

Ankara is such a wonderful city for me... Hamamönü, Bahçelievler, Kızılay, Anıtkabir, National library, Ankara castle, Atakule and others.

Hamamönü is a beautiful place.

There were buildings that showed the old and modern styles. Turkey is a country that truly embraces all its values and tries to preserve all its beauties in their natural state. This was one of my favorite aspects.

I wanted to see Ankara Castle very much, but it was closed due to certain conditions, this made me very sad

As you know, Anıtkabir is the first thing that comes to mind when Ankara is mentioned. One of Turkey’s most important works of art is Anıtkabir. Anıtkabir is a work that consists of Atatürk’s life, age and the things he used. What impressed me the most was that not only Turks but also all foreigners in Turkey visited the Anıtkabir for the first time.

Atakule

If you want to feel Ankara under your feet, this is the place you should definitely go. The view of Ankara is magnificent, but I think if you go in the evening, you will see how the whole city has turned into a masterpiece.

National Library

If you are looking for any study to study, this is the right place. You can see people of all ages, not just students. I don’t think there is a second such library in the world. Its structure, processing and appearance simply fascinate people. I just said “Wow” when I left.


Istanbul

I think Istanbul is also a very cute city, but frankly, it didn’t meet my expectations :’). During my 4-day Istanbul trip, I tried to go to the famous places of Istanbul and I managed to go to most of them. Galata Tower, Bosphorus, Istanbul coast, Taksim, Ferry and many other places were fascinating. To be honest, eating “fish bread” on the beach (Eminönü) was one of my biggest dreams, no matter how small it may seem. I was able to do that thanks to this project. I would recommend those who are considering going to Istanbul to never forget to eat Fish and Bread. Although Istanbul did not meet my expectations, its magnificence is truly dazzling.

I’m going to Izmir next week.

Izmir is one of my favorite cities. I tried “Kumru” in Ankara and “İzmir bomba” in Azerbaijan, but in my opinion, you should try the food of each city in its own city. (I’m a food lover hahaha) Alsancak, Clock Tower, Kordonboyu and Konak Square are among the places I want to see. Wait for my other blog to learn even more.

In general, places to visit in Ankara never end. We have prepared many lists for you on Instagram post and in real terms. If you want to see both touristic and fun places, I say take a look at them.

Finally, let me say that if you want to live in one city, this is Ankara, if you want to visit other cities, you can go to any city you want. In short, wherever your soul takes you. For example, Istanbul is best known as a touristic city. But for me, Ankara became a city far beyond Istanbul. If you want city advice, I can say İzmir, Nevşehir (Cappadocia), Antalya, İstanbul, Hatay, Eskişehir, Trabzon, Gazientep, Bursa.


Ending

Being a part of this team created a certain atmosphere that made me work harder to be better, do my job better and give more than I could give. So I want to say to anyone who is afraid to apply for ESC volunteering programs, don’t be afraid, don’t wait for a sign to meet new things, to see that life is even better outside of your comfort zone. Everything is in your hands, apply without waiting and do not miss this opportunity. Frankly, I was very indecisive at first, but after seeing these beauties and how beautiful life is on my feet, I said “Well done Seyran”.

As I said, this is my first overseas experience. And I’m really not exaggerating, it was the most amazing experience in my life. I will always remember the memories I lived, all the memories we spent with girls, people, children, migrants, I was so heard even as I was writing these, but it still put a smile on my face. Wow, what have I experienced in this 1 month

And finally, a big thank you to Ander and our team, I love you so muchhh girlsss, see you on another project someday.


Seiran Aliyeva