Thursday 18 May 2023

Stepping out of My Comfort Zone

From Tunisia to Turkey: Stepping out of My Comfort Zone

As a Tunisian girl , I never Imagined that my volunteering experience for the month of Ramadan in Turkey would leave such a lasting impact on my life. Ankara was my destination, and my heart was filled with a mix of excitement, nervousness, and anticipation.

The moment I arrived, I was welcomed with open arms by the people I was going to be volunteering with. It was amazing to get to know them, and I was eager to learn about their cultures and backgrounds.

The first few days were a bit of a challenge, as I tried to adapt to the new environment and understand the work that needed to be done. But it wasn't long before I found my feet and got into the swing of things.

The most significant part of my volunteering experience was serving food in the poor areas during Ramadan. I was overwhelmed by the sense of community and generosity, and it made me appreciate the simple things in life.

As I worked alongside my new friends, I learned so much about their cultures and how they celebrate Easter. I was fascinated by the different traditions, and I enjoyed hearing their stories and experiences.

The experience changed my point of view in so many ways. Before volunteering, I was consumed by my own problems and struggles. But seeing the challenges faced by the people I served made me appreciate how lucky I am and how much I take for granted , Playing with the children was one of the highlights of my time volunteering. Despite the language barrier, we were able to connect through games and laughter. It was heartwarming to see their smiles and joy, and it reminded me of the importance of spreading positivity and kindness.

Overall, my volunteering experience in Ankara was truly life-changing. It opened my eyes to new perspectives and taught me so much about myself and the world around me. I feel grateful for the opportunity to serve and connect with others, and I hope to continue volunteering in the future.

In the end , I came to Ankara with the intention of volunteering, but I ended up falling in love with this vibrant city. One of the things that I adore about Ankara is the food; it's delicious and diverse, with so many options to choose from. Furthermore, the people here are incredibly welcoming and hospitable, making me feel at home. Despite the weather being unpredictable and changing rapidly, I still love it. It's unique in that you can experience all four seasons in one day, which adds to the charm of this place. I've come to appreciate the distinct character of Ankara and everything it has to offer, making it hard for me to leave.

Khouloud Rzeigui