Friday 5 May 2023

Hello Dears

Today I will tell you about my experience in Ankara after one month. 

  

I want to say that I was surprised at how beautiful this city is and how wonderful people are. I was surprised to meet good people with patience and kindness. It's true that, at the beginning, I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to integrate in the group, but, along the way, I found out that, by working together we can always discover a way to get along. For example, until recently, we carried out an activity in which we had to pack food and deliver it to refugees. I quickly realized that not everyone fits perfectly in each role, but we complement each other. For example, Chiara and I started to form a beautiful team in food packaging that led to greater efficiency. I'm aware that we can work alone, but it's nicer when you can share your tasks and collaborate. For example, Eya is very good with the children. Usually it 's not my thing, but, by watching her, I started to learn children's dances. She is very skilled and knows how to be dynamic and how to bring new ideas. 

  

Also, this month we went to visit the victims who were affected by the earthquake,

and we carried out activities for children who are temporarily living in a university campus. Our role was to entertain them. I was the clown of the group: I put on my clown clothes, drew my face and started having a big party. At first, I thought that I would not be able to fit in, but then I held children in my arms and spin them around. Eya was very good at dancing and I followed her, which helped me a lot to act in my role. We started having fun and dancing all together. The children were very happy with the clown who was empathetic and let them do almost what they wanted with him. Thus, I discovered that there is also a funny side of myself that I didn't know I was capable of bringing out, that I didn't know I had. 

  

Regarding the locals of Ankara, I discovered that they are empathetic and very helpful, trying to help you even if they don't know English. They are good-workers and everyone has a job. The city has an impressiveiby nfrastructure and all kinds of local businesses where you can find everything you want. The most beautiful thing is the vegetables’ market where we go weekly and try to speak Turkish or, at least, practice the numbers so we know how much money they ask for the products. 

  

My favorite thing here is the food. I like to eat a lot, since I consume a lot of energy by practicing sports. We had Turkish breakfast with my colleagues, which was very interesting and filling.  I had the opportunity to eat various kinds of food, and I am very excited to experience more. Every dinner spent together in the city with the girls brings me closer to the food culture and local traditions. 

  

C. Diana