Tuesday 4 June 2024

Hello, I am Elly.

Hello, I am Elly. My second month in Ankara just ended and I have a few observations that I would like to share with you and prepare you for some facts before you arrive in Ankara.

The first thing I still can't get used to is the fact that people don't know the traffic rules here. This applies to both pedestrians and car drivers. Do not hope in vain that any driver will give way to you at the zebra crossing. Even if you try to cross a zebra crossing, they won't stop the cars and start shouting at you from the open windows, when they should be giving way.

As for pedestrians, when you are on your way and walking straight, they will start moving in your direction, even though there is a lot of space, they will come in your direction even if you try to avoid them and they will hit you, or run over your shoulder, or run over your foot. I don't know why they like to crash so aggressively, but they do it every time.

Another fact, "Ankara çok kalabalık", which means that Ankara is very crowded. Even in one small corner, many people can be crowded together and make too much noise. For me, coming from a town, it was difficult to get used to the noise and crowds. I remember the first month I was here, even if I went for a short walk I would come home with a headache and feel constantly tired. I'm not like that now, I think I'm slowly getting used to it.

As you can see, Ankara is a bit dangerous at first for people who don't know the place yet. Therefore, keep in mind that you should always be attentive and caref

ul when walking on the street. You will get used to the noise and crowds over time. But if you have the opportunity, you should visit this place. I've spent the most special two months of my life here.